Thursday, March 13, 2014


                      It was a dark and stormy night-
Not really. I just had no good title for this post. Two weekends ago I taught a class at my LCS. The roads were awful on my way in. Thank you to my hubby to driving me! Some of you may have heard about the 100+ car pile-up in Denver. Thank goodness I was north of that and did not know about it until I got home! My 2 students were lovely and totally made the trip worthwhile! One drove a lot further than I did so I am glad I did not cancel the class! They made me laugh the whole 2 hours, and yes they even got some blocks done!
When I got home I decided to get those little bags done that I had all cut out. They came out great-and the pattern was perfect. The one thing I didn’t do that the patterns said to do was be careful when cutting the tape measure so it doesn’t retract back into itself after the cuts were made. Ooops! Now I need to get my darn screwdriver out and tear the tape measure apart. I got the dumbass award of the day for that move!

 
Then I moved on to another table runner. I am using the Quick Curve Ruler by Sew Kind of Wonderful. The pattern for this runner is included in the ruler. I LOVE that!
As I was sewing the parts together Friday night for the white background version it dawned on me that I had a hell of a lot of print pieces left. I cut exactly double the amount of main fabric I needed. Good lord- some days I wonder why I even bother. So- a design opportunity presented itself. Since I had all of those main parts cut I decided to make a 2nd runner using a dark background instead. And since I was going to the quilt shop for class anyway I might as well grab another 2/3 yard of fabric and finish it. I love it when a plan comes together!!!! I really like the dark version-what do you think?




After I got these done, I decided to pull out my Not Jo Morton top I have been working on. I have several friends that love reproductions.  I am more of a bright fabric person in case you all couldn’t tell J.  During one shopping excursion with my repro friends we all spotted this book and fell in love with the cover quilt.

 
I even thought out of the box for once and wondered what it would look like in batiks? So, I bought some background fabric, and maybe a few other pieces – hehe- and got going. I decided to do the center block first- this way it would be done and the only applique left would be little blocks. I also decided since I have 18 gazillion other hand projects going I would machine applique this instead of hand applique. That way it may get done by the time my 23 year old retires. The center block is totally done as well as 3 other blocks.
 I cut out and ironed down 13 more blocks this weekend and now only have 5 more to go! (Thanks to my friend Lexie who needed a project at quilt retreat and drew all of my blocks onto Heat n Bond for me- you ROCK!) I now can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I am even hiding all of my thread tails the proper way- according to Sue Nickels anyway. I was fortunate enough to take a class from her and WOW! Instead of rushing my sewing I am trying to take my time and do things to make my projects look more professional instead of like a kindergarten kid did it. No offense to any kindergartners reading this blog- you kids are amazing!!

 
And that was the way my Sunday ended. I am probably the only person in the USA that did not watch the Oscars- The Walking Dead was on and Darryl was on the Talking Dead so there was no way in hell I was missing that!
Hope you all had an enjoyable weekend as well!
Thanks for reading-
Court

No comments:

Post a Comment