Thursday, September 11, 2014




                                          Quilt Retreat Here I Come----

Have any of you ever been on a quilt retreat? If not, I highly recommend it! I come back refreshed, sewed out (almost) and usually a tad hungover.

 
It all started about 8 years ago. I kept hearing about quilters who would go on these weekend sewing benders at retreat centers.  A whole weekend of quilting, eating and drinking??? How do I get involved? So, after being rejected by several respectable retreat groups,  I started to look for places to hold one of my own. This was not an easy task. After a bit of searching, I sounded out my old job.
In between my sophomore and what would have been my junior year at college I found a job at a dude ranch south of Denver. Now, as you may recall I grew up in coal country, not in the country. I showed up at the ranch with my sister’s old cowboy boots and a great attitude. Thank god for the attitude! I had the most wonderful summer- met some amazing people and I have never worked harder.




 
 So, I got a hold of my ex boss, and lo and behold she would host all of us! I did not have to have a minimum number of participants, we all got our very own rooms and they cooked for us all weekend.


 

  We were in! So, I gathered up 15 friends and off we went. Now, the main lodge where we sew is not ideal for sewing- bad chairs, not so great lighting, etc. but we got used to it. After a few gallons of wine we didn’t really give a crap anyway. This has gone on for 8 years. We go in the fall, and if you have ever seen the beautiful aspens in the fall here in Colorado you know what a great time of year it is. The lodge sits on the river- and it could not be a more beautiful setting.  For a mere 7.7 million bucks it could be yours-
http://www.farmandranch.com/property/north-fork-ranch

Well, the owners decided last year to sell the ranch so they are not going to be able to host us any longer. Darn! So one of the other quilters took over the “finding of a new venue” role.  Thank you Roxanne! And boy did she do good!!! I blogged about this location in the spring-


By some miracle there was a cancellation this fall so we grabbed that weekend, too! So, now we can go 2 times a year for what we paid for once a year!  Of course here we each have to cook a meal- no big deal - and we have to share rooms-no big deal there, either. 


 

These weekends mean the world to me- these ladies are like my family. We laugh together, sometimes cry together (that weekend kind of sucked for me but margaritas at 10am didn’t hurt) and of course sew together.  I will post pictures of all of us and our projects after I get back- if I am not too drunk to work my camera/phone. Boy, this post makes me sound like a I need a weekend at AA instead of a retreat- J

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment