Wednesday, February 18, 2015

                                     A heart filled weekend-

   Hello all! I hope every one of you had a nice weekend. We had some beautiful weather Saturday- in the 60’s here in Denver. Saturday found us out and about. Bob and I had a nice lunch, went to the Denver Dog Show then splurged on red velvet milk shakes at LIKS.

 
     I got a 4 mile walk in after the milk shakes- in a t-shirt only! (well, I did have pants on as well- contrary to what some people believe, I am NOT an exhibitionist!) We then went out to dinner- fried oysters for me! The good thing about loving tiny places with good food is that they aren’t that busy on Valentines’ Day- we got right in!  Of Course we got up Sunday and it was 30 degrees. And then it snowed. Gotta love it!

 
   I did get another of my bear paw blocks done, so I am caught up! There are only 3 more blocks left, I believe. But, the big news is I finally got done sewing my Bionic Gear Bag! I have been working on it for a few weeks. The only reason it took so long is because instead of going into my sewing room when I get home from work, I plop my ass down in the chair, the dogs jump up on me and we cuddle the rest of the night. (plus I have been re-reading Fifty Shades of Grey- for the third time, teehee)
   All I had to finish on the bag was sewing the binding and zipper on to the top of the bag. And I finally did it! And, wait for it- it looks good for once! All of us quilters know how tricky sewing binding on by machine can be. When I fold the binding over, and try to stitch in the ditch, it always seems like the top stitching on the other side is crapola when I am done. This time, my friends, I kicked the bindings’ ass! And, for you my friends, I will tell you I think I have finally figured out the tricks to a good looking binding. I know, I know. I have only made 4,000 fricking bags with machine stitched binding. Some things come slow to me- DUMBASS.

    The first thing I did this time was slow the hell down. I am usually a fast sewer. It drives my friends crazy.  Just ask them. I also pinned that first seam- a LOT. These 2 things, along with making sure that I sewed that first seam very straight did the trick! This way, when I turn the binding over to the other side, if my seam is straight to begin with, the same amount of binding will be folded over the whole way across the bag. Also, as I am sewing in the ditch from the back side, the ditch is actually straight, also making this seam look good. I also used a LOT of pins when sewing in the ditch. I did hold my breath as I was turning the bag over to look at the first side of the stitching- holy crap- did I actually sew that? I was amazed- then proceeded to do the other side. Success!
   The bag I sewed is the Bionic Gear Bag. It has 4 zippered pockets inside, plus a fabric tray at the front where you can place more stuff! Take note of the way the stripes are laid out on the pockets- total accident, but a happy one at that!


 I did make the matching little fabric bowl so I had a place to put my Wonder Clips.

   It is a really slick pattern- very easy to follow. She includes lots of pictures and tons of instructions. You can find the pattern here-


     I really like the bag. I also love the fabric I picked. I machine quilted around all of the little flowers, and put just a little bling in the center of a few flowers.


   I will definitely make another one- I might have enough fabric left to make a matching 2nd one. If not, I may have a few pieces of fabric in my stash I can use-haha!


   Update- on Gracie- she is doing well at her new home. The vet said she is approx. 8 weeks old, and is a doxie/terrier or doxie/schnauzer mix. She is a healthy, happy little girl!
 
    Thank you for reading this my peeps!  Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment